To be eligible to apply for the Doctor of Occupational Therapy program you need to meet the following requirements:
Requirements Form. This form will need a signature from an advisor or a school official and uploaded to OTCAS.
- Minimum Cumulative GPA of 3.2.
- Minimum Prerequisite GPA of 3.2.
- All undergraduate and graduate course work is included in cumulative grade point average calculations.
- All GPAs will be calculated by OTCAS.
- In addition, all prerequisites must be completed with a minimum grade of C.
- The outstanding prerequisites cannot be Anatomy, Physiology, or Statistics.
- The outstanding prerequisite course must be completed by the May start date of the program with a grade of ‘C’ or higher while maintaining at least the required 3.2 admissions cumulative GPA.
- Final transcripts accounting for any outstanding pre-requisite coursework must be received prior to matriculation into the program.
- A minimum of 40 hours among three (3) different settings (hospital, school system, home health, clinic, etc.) is required.
- Must be supervised by an occupational therapist or an occupational therapy assistant (not an OT aide) and recorded in “Experience” section in OTCAS.
- Upload observation forms to OTCAS and submit by the application deadline.
- OTCAS application (www.otcas.org) accepted mid-July to September 15th.
- Applicants must submit materials to OTCAS several weeks in advance of this date in order to be considered ‘Verified’ by September 15th.
- Applications which are not in ‘Verified’ status or which are submitted after the September 15th will not be reviewed.
- Reading: 22
- Listening: 22
- Speaking: 26
- Writing: 24
The evaluation should establish a degree equivalent evaluation and course-by-course equivalent evaluation for all foreign coursework. Approved evaluations services include:
- International Education Research Foundation (IERF)
P.O. Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231-3665
- Josef Silny & Associates
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173
- World Education Services, Inc. (WES)
PO Box 745
New York, NY 10113-0745
World Education Services
Prerequisite Course Information
The Doctor of Occupational Therapy requires a series of prerequisite classes to prepare you for the program’s coursework. OTCAS will use these courses to calculate a separate specific grade point average used in the admission decision. All courses, except for Medical Terminology, must be at least three credit hours. Prerequisite coursework must be at a level for science majors and be completed with a grade of ‘C’ or higher. Online courses are not accepted for science courses with labs.
As a part of your application, you must fill out a Prerequisite Course Completion Form.
- Introductory Psychology
- Abnormal Psychology or Psychopathology
- Life Span/Human Development Psychology course must include the study of development from birth to death; more than one course may be required
- Introductory Sociology or Introductory Anthropology
- Statistics* must include a study of descriptive and inferential statistics
- Human Anatomy* one (1) semester with lab, OR Human Anatomy & Physiology I with lab
- Human Physiology* one (1) semester, lab preferred OR Human Anatomy & Physiology II with lab
- Medical Terminology
* courses must be completed not more than 7 years prior to application deadline.
- Avoid completing the Prerequisite Course Completion Form online within your web browser.
Although you can fill in a form while it is displayed within your browser, we strongly recommend that you not do so. You will lose all entered form data if you browse to other web pages in the same browser window that you are using to display the screen fillable form. You run the risk of accidentally deleting all of your entered form data by inadvertently clicking on the “back or “forward” buttons on your browser. Clicking either of these buttons will close the form and delete of all your information.
We recommend that you open the Acrobat Reader program, click on file/open and locate the form saved on your computer hard drive. Then fill out the form in Acrobat Reader independently from your browser or your Internet connection.
Once you have located and downloaded a desired form to your PC, you are now ready to begin filling out the form.
- Online courses are acceptable EXCEPT for science courses with labs.
- Dual credit courses are acceptable if recorded on a college transcript with a grade.
- Courses taken for AP credit will be accepted for prerequisite courses if a score of three or higher is earned. The course must appear on official university transcripts.
- CLEP tests are not accepted.
- Students may retake up to fifteen (15) credit hours of prerequisites. The higher grade will be used to compute
prerequisiteGPA, but all grades will be used to calculate cumulativeGPA.
- Applicants who previous matriculated in any occupational therapy program in the United States are not eligible for admission into the IU Doctor of Occupational Therapy program.
Are you ready to apply?
All items are due by the September 15th deadline.
- Apply to IUPUI using the graduate online application and pay the $70 application fee.
- Complete the OTCAS Application. Your OTCAS application must be in “Verified” status by the September 15th application deadline.
Initial Program Designation: $145
Each Additional Program: $60
- You will need to submit observation forms detailing your 40 observation hours in at least three different settings. Upload observation forms to OTCAS and submit by the application deadline.
- Prerequisite Course Completion Form: Download, enter information, save the document, then submit as a document upload in OTCAS.
- If you have not completed your bachelor’s degree you will need to complete a Declaration of Intent to Complete Degree Requirements Form and submit as a document upload in OTCAS.