- If you have not yet completed your bachelor’s degree at the time of application but expect to have it completed by the start of the Physical Therapy program must complete the Declaration of Intent to Complete Degree Requirements Form. This form will need signatures from an advisor and a school official.
- No waivers or exceptions will be granted by the physical therapy program.
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.2/4.0 from all coursework. We use the cumulative GPA verified and calculated by the Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service (PTCAS).
- Prerequisite GPA of at least 3.2/4.0.
- Only GPAs calculated by PTCAS will be considered in the application review process.
- The outstanding prerequisite course must be completed by the May start date of the program with a grade of ‘C’ or higher while maintaining at least the required 3.2 admissions cumulative GPA.
- Final transcripts accounting for any outstanding pre-requisite coursework must be received prior to matriculation into the program.
- You are required to have completed a minimum of 40 hours of observation. 20 hours must be in an inpatient setting and 20 hours in an outpatient setting.
- Observation Hours are recorded in your PTCAS Application
- A PTCAS application in “Complete” status by October 1st. This means all application materials submitted to PTCAS have been received and documented by PTCAS.
- Reading: 22
- Listening: 22
- Speaking: 26
- Writing: 24
The evaluation should establish a degree equivalent evaluation and course-by-course equivalent evaluation for all foreign coursework. Approved evaluations services include:
- International Education Research Foundation (IERF)
P.O. Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231-3665
- Josef Silny & Associates
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173
- World Education Services, Inc. (WES)
PO Box 745
New York, NY 10113-0745
World Education Services
- Applicants must submit materials to PTCAS several weeks in advance of this date in order to be considered ‘complete’ by the October 1st
- Applications which are not in ‘complete’ status or which are submitted after the October 1st will not be reviewed.
- Applicants are extended an offer based on a holistic admission process where we factor in a balance of each candidate’s experiences, attributes, and academics. The top 44 applicants will be offered a place in the program.
The Doctorate in Physical Therapy at Indiana University is accredited by the
Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE). CAPTE is not an accreditation organization for post-professional degrees, including the Ph.D. Therefore, the Ph.D. portion of the dual degree DPT/Ph.D. is not subject to or accredited by CAPTE.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314telephone: 703-706-3245
- website: http://www.capteonline.org.
Prerequisite Courses Information
The Doctor of Physical Therapy requires a series of prerequisite classes to prepare you for the program’s coursework. PTCAS will use these courses to calculate a separate specific grade point average used in the admission decision. All courses, except for Medical Terminology, must be at least three credit hours.
- Statistics (must include a study of descriptive and inferential statistics)
- Human Anatomy: One semester with lab, OR Human Anatomy & Physiology I with lab
- Human Physiology: One semester, lab preferred OR Human Anatomy & Physiology II with lab
- General Chemistry: Two semesters with labs. The course must be inorganic focused.
- General Physics: Two semesters with labs
- Introductory Psychology
- Human Lifespan Development (course must include the study of development from birth to death)
If offered admission to the DPT program, Medical Terminology is also required and must be demonstrated by:
- Formal coursework, or
- Online instruction with a certificate of completion
- Avoid completing the Prerequisite Course Completion Form online within your web browser.
Although you can fill in a form while it is displayed within your browser, we strongly recommend that you not do so. You will lose all entered form data if you browse to other web pages in the same browser window that you are using to display the screen fillable form. You run the risk of accidentally deleting all of your entered form data by inadvertently clicking on the “back or “forward” buttons on your browser. Clicking either of these buttons will close the form and delete of all your information.
We recommend that you open the Acrobat Reader program, click on file/open and locate the form saved on your computer hard drive. Then fill out the form in Acrobat Reader independently from your browser or your Internet connection.
Once you have located and downloaded a desired form to your PC, you are now ready to begin filling out the form.
- Online courses are acceptable EXCEPT for science courses with labs.
- Dual credit courses are acceptable if recorded on a college transcript with a grade.
- Courses taken for AP credit will be accepted for prerequisite courses if a score of three or higher is earned. The course must appear on official university transcripts.
- CLEP tests are not accepted.
- Students may retake up to fifteen (15) credit hours of prerequisites. The higher grade will be used to compute the prerequisite GPA, but all grades will be used to calculate the cumulative GPA.
- Applicants who previous matriculated in any physical therapy program in the United States are not eligible for admission into the IU Doctor of Physical Therapy program.
Are you ready to apply?
All items are due by the October 1st deadline.
- Apply to IUPUI using the graduate online application and pay the $70 application fee.
For “Intended Program and Plan,” please select the following answers to each question:
- What type of degree do you intend to pursue?: Doctoral/PhD
- Academic Program: SHHS-Physical Therapy
- Academic Plan: Physical Therapy DPT
- Are you applying to a dual degree program: No
- Term: Summer 2020
- Recommendations: skip this session
- Personal Statement: skip this session
- Complete the PTCAS Application. Your PTCAS application must be in “Complete” status by the application deadline.
- Initial Program Designation: $150
- Each Additional Program: $55
- Prerequisite Course Completion Form: Download, enter information, save the document, then submit it with the IUPUI Graduate Application in the “Department Information/Additional Upload” section.
- If you have not completed your bachelor’s degree you will need to complete a Declaration of Intent to Complete Degree Requirements Form and submit as a document upload in PTCAS, or submit it with the IUPUI Graduate Application in the “Department Information/Additional Upload” section.