Geoffre Sherman, Ph.D. is an industry professional whose work has brought numerous colleagues into the classroom and whose teaching has helped guide students into the industry of sports. He brings nearly two decades of industry experience to the sports management students in the School of Health & Human Sciences (SHHS). He currently works with the Indianapolis Colts, Indianapolis Indians, Indiana Pacers, and Indiana Fever bringing active industry experience into the classroom.
Prior to his appointment with the School of Health & Human Sciences, Sherman served as assistant athletic director at Marian University from 2006 to 2016, and he served as an adjunct instructor where he taught sport law, sport communication, and facility management. Sherman also served on national committees in college athletics and earned the 2015–16 College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) President’s Award.
Sherman graduated from St. Bonaventure University with a B.A. in journalism and mass communication and received his M.S. in kinesiology in 2001 from Indiana University. He also earned his Ph.D. in human performance from Indiana University in 2008.
Sherman focuses on the early learning experiences of sport management students. His focus is on developing students in the classroom and helping provide experiences in the industry for students to gain valuable industry experience during college. He is actively engaged with the university's Sports Innovation Institute (SII) as a communications professional and researcher. He has provided assistance in research projects with the SII and has assisted in the communications efforts for the institute.
Before embarking on a career in the sport industry, Sherman presented several research studies to national conferences:
- Sherman, G.N. (2006, June). Promotion and Relegation: A case for Major League Soccer accepting International model of rewarding success and punishing failure. Presented at the annual conference for the North American Society for Sport Management, Kansas City, Mo.
- Sherman, G.N. & Kaburakis, A. (2006, June). For the fans, for the money, or both? A study of the socio-cultural and commercial models of sport governance in European Union and United States sport. Presented at the annual conference for the North American Society for Sport Management, Kansas City, Mo.
- Kaburakis, A. & Sherman, G.N. (2006, March). War of the Worlds? Or the Path to a More Balanced Future: US and EU Competition and Labor Law. Presented at the annual conference of the Sport & Recreation Law Association, Albuquerque, N.M.
- Sherman, G.N. (2005, March). The NCAA and Antitrust: How Does One Succeed in Litigation? Presented at the annual conference for the Sport & Recreation Law Association, Virginia Beach, Va.
- Kaburakis, A. & Sherman, G.N. (2004, March). International Student Athletes Legal Challenges of Athletic Associations’ Amateurism and Eligibility Rules. Paper presented at the annual conference for the Sport & Recreation Law Association, Las Vegas, NV.
- Sherman, G.N., Fielding, L.W., Cunningham, G.B., Kellett, P.W. & Kaburakis, A. (2003, June). Economic Impact of the 2002 ATP RCA Tennis Championships on the City of Indianapolis. Presented at the annual conference for the North American Society for Sport Management, Ithaca, NY.