As a potential applicant, you should review this admissions information before you apply.
Apply to the Doctorate in Nutrition and Dietetics program
Step 1: Review the admissions requirements
To be eligible to apply for the Doctorate in Nutrition and Dietetics program you need to meet the following requirements.
- Verification Statement from an ACEND-accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics and completion of an accounting course OR completion of all prerequisite courses for non-dietetic majors.
- Completed—or will complete—your undergraduate bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited university, college or foreign equivalent as determined by a recognized credentialing agency, before your intended fall start date.
- Earned a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Current manager-level food safety certification. You may have one of the following certifications or equivalent:
Step 2: Compile your supporting documents
Gather all supporting documents before beginning your application. You will be required to upload all documents into the IU CAS application portal.
- Verification statement from an ACEND-accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics and Prerequisite Course Completion Form listing only an accounting course.
- If you do not have a verification statement, complete the Prerequisite Course Completion Form. At the time of your application, you must have completed all but one required course.
- Declaration of Intent to Complete Degree Requirements: If you have not yet completed your bachelor’s degree at the time of application you must complete this form. This form requires a signature from an advisor or a school official.
- ServSafe Certificate at the manager level, the Food Safety Manager Certificate from NRSFP, or equivalent.
- Personal statement, including your career aspirations.
- The names and contact information of three people who have agreed to write a reference for you, such as former professors, supervisors, professionals, or anyone else who isn't a relative who can give an overall honest assessment of your abilities and character.
Additionally, you will need to request official transcripts from all universities and colleges attended. Please allow additional time for international transcripts. Send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
School of Health & Human Sciences
Attn: Graduate Admissions Coordinator
1140 West Michigan St., CF 124
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Step 3: Complete your IU CAS application
You'll apply to the program using the IU Centralized Application System (IU CAS). Submit your application, along with the application fee, by the deadline. For a fall start:
- Early admission applications due by January 1
- Regular admission applications due by May 1
Invited candidates will participate in a remote or in-person admission interview with the Nutrition and Dietetic Admission Committee after the committee's initial application review.
For an early admission decision, apply to the Doctorate in Nutrition and Dietetics (DND) program by January 1 to receive a decision prior to February 15.